Latest Irving Texas Posts
- What Was Before Irving’s Canova Palms Senior Living Community?Canova Palms is a 55-plus Senior Living Community built in 2019
- New Heritage Square Apartments Will Be Built On This Site In IrvingLafferty Companies, a Phoenix-based developer, plans to begin work on a
- Chick-fil-A On Beltline Will Soon To Relocate To This New Location In IrvingConstruction is almost complete for Chick-fil-A’s new location on North Beltline
- New Urban Value Corner Store Is Opening Soon In IrvingUrban Value is a new convenience store in Las Colinas: Irving‘s
- Closed Save-A-Lot In Irving Will Soon Be Home To A New La Azteca Meat MarketThe closed Save-A-Lot location on the northeast corner of North Beltline
- A New Starbucks Will Replace The Closed Schlotzsky’s On North O’Connor In IrvingThe closed Schlotzsky’s on North O’Connor in Las Colinas, Irving, is
- A New Nursery & Supply Store Called Green Acres Is Coming To IrvingGreen Acres Nursery & Supply is a California garden center that
- Albertsons Is Getting Ready To Open A New Store On This Location In IrvingAlbertsons Grocery will be opening a new store in the Shady
- New Pasadena Villas Are Being Built On Conflans Road In IrvingReal estate developer, Marvel Homes, is building some new homes on
- A New Dunkin’ Donuts Is Coming To This Location On Beltline Road In IrvingA Dunkin’ Donuts Drive Thru sign is now up on northwest
- Remembering Park Plaza Drive-In On Airport Freeway In Irving TexasPark Plaza Drive-in was a drive in theater located on the
- New! The Luxe At Las Colinas Apartments In Irving TexasThe Luxe At Las Colinas are new luxury senior living apartments currently under construction in Irving Texas.
People From Irving
David Lowery is an alumnus of Irving High School. He
directed The Old Man & the Gun, Disney film Pete’s Dragon and Ain’t Them Bodies Saints.
Brian Bosworth is a actor and former professional football player. He moved to Irving Texas at a very young age and graduated from
MacArthur High School. Bosworth
played college football for the Oklahoma Sooners and was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks.
He had a role in the movie The Longest Yard.
Trevor John Story
Trevor John Story is an American professional baseball shortstop. Story is attended Irving High School and has played for Colorado Rockies.
Taylor Mays is a former American football safety. Mays played for Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders. He was born in Irving in 1988.
Liz Rose is a country music songwriter. She was born in Dallas but grew up in Irving Texas. She wrote songs for Taylor Swift’s debut album. Liz has also worked with Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw and Swedish country singer Jill Johnson.
American professional basketball player Odyssey Sims was born in Irving, Texas in 1992. Sims is a graduate of MacArthur High School.
Paul Hill was the Director of Mission Operations at the NASA Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston. Hill Graduated from Irving high school. Paul led one of the Columbia accident investigation teams.
Erin Wasson is a fashion model, actress and designer. She was born in Irving in 1982. Erin appeared in the movie Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
History of Irving
Virginia natives John W. and Jestine Gorbit had established a farm in this area by 1850. Eventually a settlement called Gorbit grew as a postal route. A man named Jonathan Story moved to the area from Illinois with his wife and 13 Children.
One of Jonathan Story’s son’s, Isaac “Ike” Story, opened a store and a post office. The store served as the post office and social gathering place for Gorbit residents.
The Gorbit post office and settlement was renamed because of a similarly named
post office. The Post Office Department asked Story to select another name for his post
office. He chose the name Kit.
First school in the are was opened in 1890 by Mark Callister Lively. locals called the school Lively School.
In 1903, J.O. “Otto” Schulze and Otis Brown founded Irving one mile west of the Kit community, along the tracks of the Rock Island Railroad. It is believed that the town was named after Author Washington Irving.
Otis Brown became the first Mayor of Irving when the town incorporated.
In 1935 Irving had a population of 357.
Plymouth Park Shopping Center opened as one of the largest shopping centers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
University of Dallas was established.
Irving population had reached 45,895 due in part to the post World War 2 housing boom.
In October Texas stadium Hosted its first Dallas Cowboy game with a win over the New England Patriots.
Las Colinas was developed and soon became a destination for relocating companies.
Construction of Dallas Fort Worth International Airport began helping to boost the growth of Irving.
Irving Texas is now home to over 240,000 people and 8,500 local and multi-national companies.