Latest Irving Texas Posts
- Before DFW Airport, There Was GSW AirportA drive down Amon Carter Blvd on the eastern tip of
- A New Embassy Suites Hotel is Under Construction In Irving TexasA new Embassy Suites hotel is under construction in Las Colinas,
- New! Lucky Texan Gas Station In Irving TexasThere is a new gas station in Irving Texas. Located on the Block Drive and State Highway 161
- Coming Soon! Los Lupes Restaurant In Irving TexasLos Lupes Mexican Restaurant will reopen at a new location just north on Beltline Road in Irving, Texas.
- New! Westloop at the Diamond Interchange Apartments in Irving TexasWestloop at the Diamond Interchange apartments is a new Apartment complex in Irving Texas….
- Coming Soon! Riviera’s Tex-Mex Bar And Grill In Irving TexasA new Tex-Mex restaurant is coming soon to Irving Texas. It will be located at the Irving Mall in the closed…
- Vito’s Pizza And Grill In Irving, TexasIn 1993 Vito’s Pizza And Grill, a family owned restaurant, opened and in March of 2019 they moved from their old…
- Now Open! Starbucks Coffee Shop In Irving TexasLocated next to the South Irving Wal-Mart, the new Coffee House will be an addition…
- Opening Soon! The Luxe At Las Colinas In Irving, TexasThe Luxe At Las Colinas are new luxury senior living apartments currently under construction in Irving Texas.
- Now Open! Chicken Pullita Restaurant In Irving TexasA new Chicken Pullita restaurant is coming to Irving Texas. Chicken Pullita will be using….
- New! Hangout Restaurant And Sports Club In Irving TexasHangout Restaurant & Sports Club In Irving Hangout Restaurant And Sports
- Coming Soon! Starbucks Coffeeshop In Downtown Irving TexasStarbucks Coffeeshop In Downtown Irving Texas Construction is underway for a
People From Irving
David Lowery is an alumnus of Irving High School. He
directed The Old Man & the Gun, Disney film Pete’s Dragon and Ain’t Them Bodies Saints.
Brian Bosworth is a actor and former professional football player. He moved to Irving Texas at a very young age and graduated from
MacArthur High School. Bosworth
played college football for the Oklahoma Sooners and was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks.
He had a role in the movie The Longest Yard.
Trevor John Story
Trevor John Story is an American professional baseball shortstop. Story is attended Irving High School and has played for Colorado Rockies.
Taylor Mays is a former American football safety. Mays played for Cincinnati Bengals and Oakland Raiders. He was born in Irving in 1988.
Liz Rose is a country music songwriter. She was born in Dallas but grew up in Irving Texas. She wrote songs for Taylor Swift’s debut album. Liz has also worked with Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw and Swedish country singer Jill Johnson.
American professional basketball player Odyssey Sims was born in Irving, Texas in 1992. Sims is a graduate of MacArthur High School.
Paul Hill was the Director of Mission Operations at the NASA Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center in Houston. Hill Graduated from Irving high school. Paul led one of the Columbia accident investigation teams.
Erin Wasson is a fashion model, actress and designer. She was born in Irving in 1982. Erin appeared in the movie Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
History of Irving
Virginia natives John W. and Jestine Gorbit had established a farm in this area by 1850. Eventually a settlement called Gorbit grew as a postal route. A man named Jonathan Story moved to the area from Illinois with his wife and 13 Children.
One of Jonathan Story’s son’s, Isaac “Ike” Story, opened a store and a post office. The store served as the post office and social gathering place for Gorbit residents.
The Gorbit post office and settlement was renamed because of a similarly named
post office. The Post Office Department asked Story to select another name for his post
office. He chose the name Kit.
First school in the are was opened in 1890 by Mark Callister Lively. locals called the school Lively School.
In 1903, J.O. “Otto” Schulze and Otis Brown founded Irving one mile west of the Kit community, along the tracks of the Rock Island Railroad. It is believed that the town was named after Author Washington Irving.
Otis Brown became the first Mayor of Irving when the town incorporated.
In 1935 Irving had a population of 357.
Plymouth Park Shopping Center opened as one of the largest shopping centers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
University of Dallas was established.
Irving population had reached 45,895 due in part to the post World War 2 housing boom.
In October Texas stadium Hosted its first Dallas Cowboy game with a win over the New England Patriots.
Las Colinas was developed and soon became a destination for relocating companies.
Construction of Dallas Fort Worth International Airport began helping to boost the growth of Irving.
Irving Texas is now home to over 240,000 people and 8,500 local and multi-national companies.