Kroger is set to replace the store located at Highway 121 and Coit Road in Plano Texas. It will be a more modern and larger store. The new store will be built next to Quick Trip and will replace the existing store once it’s completed. The new store will have a size of around 120,000 square feet, which is significantly larger than the current store’s 74,000 square feet. Construction of the new store is expected to begin in July 2023 and is scheduled to complete by May 2024 for $10 million.
The current store has been a part of the community for almost two decades, having been built in 2004. Its presence has been an essential part of the area’s retail landscape and has served the community well. However, with Plano’s growth over the years, Kroger is looking to meet the community’s evolving needs. HEB also recently entered the market thus the new store will most likely offer an updated and more extensive selection of products and services.
- In 1883, Barney Kroger opened his first grocery store in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- By 1929, Kroger became the first grocery store chain to test electronic scanning of products at its stores.
- In the 1950s and 1960s, Kroger expanded its operations through acquisitions.
- In the 1990s, Kroger launched its brand of products and introduced new technology to improve its supply chain and inventory management.
- Today, Kroger is one of the largest supermarket chains in the United States, operating over 2,700 stores and employing over 500,000 people.
The location where the current store is situated has a short development history. According to aerial images, the area surrounding the store was once farmland before home construction began in the 1990s.